"For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" Matthew 5:18 (KJV)

Sunday, May 13, 2012

SIN AND CONSEQUENCES

I am currently participating in a Bible Study "Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed a Study of David"  The last two weeks are written by one of my favorite Bible teachers, Kay Arthur.  Sin and Consequences have been a subject heavy on my heart for a while and particularly the past couple of days.  As I was walking tonight I was praying and then formulating the words for this blog.  Before I began blogging I purposed to do two days of homework for this week, Week 5.  How amazed I was that the title of Day One was "Sin and Consequences" and Day Two is "Persevering Through Discipline".  Hmmm.  Even more interesting is, as I sat down to write this blog and opened the study book I realized these lessons are for next week, Week 6.   Lord, thanks for the message :)

Kay starts out in Week Six, Day One with "Life is neither easy nor ideal.  Rarely is it the dream fulfilled, and it's good to realize that early on."  Agreed!

She goes on to say " How do we handle life when we are worn to the bone or think our hearts are going to rupture because of rejection and pain? when our family is falling apart? How do we go on in the joy of our salvation? How do we teach transgressors His way when we've blown it so badly ourselves? How do we joyfully sing in down times?"   Good question, how do we?????

Kay asks "What lessons can we learn so that we go deeper still with God rather than self-destruct because of failure?"

"Now, therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittitie to be your wife!' Thus says the LORD, "Behold I will raise up evil against you from your own household; I will even take your wives before your eyes and give them to your companion, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight." (2 Sam 12:10-11)

Read 2 Samuel 13.  Kay goes on to say "Do you see anything that might reflect God's judgment when He said "The sword shall never depart from your house

It isn't easy to watch your family fall apart.  Maybe you too, like David, have mourned over a son or a daughter.  It was just the beginning of David's sorrows.  As you read on in 1 Samuel you find David and Absalom's relationship deteriorating until Absalom was in open warfare with his father seeking his kingdom and his life. 

The son died, the father lived. David wished it had been the opposite, but in God's sovereignty, it wasn't.  Even though life did not get easier, David pressed on.  Persevering without becoming bitter, the king humbled himself under God's mighty hand and took God's discipline as a true son of God.

David did not fail to appropriate the all sufficient grace of God."  Thank you Kay!

Like a Father who discipline's his son, because of His great love for us God disciplines us in the midst of our iniquity.  We are forgiven of our sin but we don't "get away" with our sin.  God loves us too much to let us go undisciplined. I pray that we would humble ourselves before God and take His discipline as a true child of God.

"Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.  Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that You are justified when You speak and blameless when You judge."  Psalm 51:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment